"Ever since Jacob Reckless was a child, he has been escaping to a hidden world through a portal in his father's abandoned study. Over the years, he has made a name for himself as a finder of enchanted items and buried secrets. He's also made many enemies and allies--most important, Fox, a beautiful shape-shifting vixen whom Jacob cares for more than he lets on.
But life in this other world is about to change. Tragedy strikes when Jacob's younger brother, Will, follows him through the portal. Brutally attacked, Will is infected with a curse that is quickly transforming him into a Goyl--a ruthless killing machine, with skin made of stone."
Average Teen Rating: 3.3
Oh man, my teens did NOT like this book. The most common complaints were that it was too confusing and too slow. I had one upper middle school girl that loved it. She is a massive fantasy fan. I was actually quite surprised because the majority of my book club teens are fantasy fans. I decided to post my questions anyway in case any other book clubs out there think their teens might like the book better.
1. What do you think about Jacob? Is he a good person? Would you be friends with him?
2. Which fairy tales did you recognize in the book? Snow White, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, The Frog Prince - Funke concentrated on the Grimm German fairy tales in this book.
3. What did you think about Mirrorworld? Would you rather live in a place like that, with magic and no technology? Or do you prefer this modern real world?
4. Did you have a favorite part of Mirrorworld? (i.e. the fairy realm, the Goyl city, the Empress’s palace)?
5. Do you think the characters were fleshed out enough? Is there someone you wanted to know more about?
6. How do you feel about Fox? Why do you think she is so protective of Jacob? Why do you think she prefers her fox form over her human one? (Did you know that foxes are often found as supportive characters in the Grimm’s fairy tales?)
7. Who in the story do you think is the strongest? Why?
8. Why do you think Jacob decided to free The Dark Fairy? Was that a mistake?
9. Does your opinion of the book change knowing that it was first written in German and then translated?
10. Where do you think Jacob and Will’s father is? Do you think he’s alive?
11. Will you read the sequel, Fearless? What do you think happens?