Friday, September 26, 2014

Flannel Friday: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.

I love reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. to my storytime kids. So I wanted to freshen things up a bit and try it as a prop story!

I had seen another librarian years ago present the book in a similar way, which is where I originally got the idea. They used a cookie sheet, but I have this awesome felt/dry erase/magnet board that I purchased from Discount School Supply, so I utilized that.

I used both the book art as well as Google Image searching for palm trees to create my coconut tree out of construction paper. I just free-handed everything so I don't have a pattern to share. Then I laminated it with contact paper and stuck a couple of magnets on the back.


















I purchased some magnetic letters from Amazon and used an egg carton to organize the letters in order beforehand. Then I could just keep the carton in my lap as I told the story.


When the letters fall down the tree in the story, you can either shake your magnet board to make them all fall, or I just pushed them down with my hand. Easy peasy!

Mel's Desk is hosting this week's Flannel Friday. You can find the round-up over on her blog! For more information on Flannel Friday, check out their websiteFacebook group, or Pinterest page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis