Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Storytime - Ice Cream

Books:
The Ice Cream King by Steve Metzger - This is a short, fun book about a boy named Teddy who visits the ice cream shop with his family. He is so amazed by the shop, that he makes believe that he is transported to an ice cream kingdom where he can have all of the flavors for himself. This is a good one to share in storytime as it's fairly short, has a good cadence, and teaches kids a lesson about sharing.


The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson - I couldn't really find another ice cream book that I loved, so I made this book fit with the theme. I told the kids that ice cream was made from milk and had them tell me where milk comes from ("Cows!" they cried.). This is a book with a great rhythm about what different animals eat. I made it interactive by having the kids say "The cow loves cookies!" with me throughout the book.

Songs/Rhymes:

We All Want an Ice Cream Cone (w/ flannel)

(Tune: Mary Had a Little Lamb)
Flannel made by a former employee

We all want an ice cream cone
Ice cream cone, ice cream cone
We all want an ice cream cone
We'll eat it every day!

Then I pointed to the different flavors and asked the kids to guess which kind it was

(Flavor) is our favorite kind
Favorite kind, favorite kind
(Flavor) is our favorite kind
We'll eat it every day!
Source


Milkshake Song from the CD Songs for Wiggleworms

I passed out shaky eggs and we sang and shook along to this short, fun tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis