Thursday, June 26, 2014

Campfire Storytime

Every summer since I've been at my current library, I've hosted a Campfire Storytime alongside another staff member. We bill it as a monthly drop-in program for all ages where the first half consists of us reading our favorite storytime books and singing our favorite silly songs and the second half consists of a camping/outdoors-related craft and a s'mores snack. If the weather is nice, we sit on blankets out in the grass or on the library patio. If the weather's not-so-nice, we sit in our meeting room and pretend we're outside!

Due to my summer reading brain, I forgot to take any pictures! I promise I will have some with last month's write-up.

Here's what we did tonight:

Song: "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes"

My coworker got the group ready to go with a fun rendition of this movement song. After she ran through the classic version of the tune, she added this fun verse to challenge the kids:

Elbows, hips, nose, and lips
Nose and lips
Elbows, hips, nose, and lips
Nose and lips
Eyes, and ears, and mouth, and nose
Elbows, hips, nose, and lips
Nose and lips!

You can go as fast as you please and the kids will just giggle their way through it.

(Below is another fun renditions from The Learning Station):



Book: Chicken Big by Keith Graves - Next, I read my longest favorite book, Chicken Big, which is a HILARIOUS story about a big chick who's smaller siblings can't figure out what exactly Chicken Big is. Is he a elephant? A sweater? This one definitely had the kids rolling with laughter.

 Song: "I'm Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee"

I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me?
I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee
Buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz!

I'm bringing home a baby dinosaur
Won't my mommy hide behind the door?
I'm bringing home a baby dinosaur
Listen to my roar! ROAR!

I'm bringing home a baby crocodile
Won't my mommy wear a great big smile?
I'm bringing home a baby crocodile
Snap, snap, snap, snap, snap!



Book: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin - 
I had been thumbing through my pile of books to decide what to read next when a girl in the front row saw this book and cried, "I love Pete the Cat!" So I felt fate was telling me to read this one. And oh. My. Goodness. This one is ALWAYS a hit! I have the kids sing Pete's song with me as well as reply, "Goodness, no!" when I ask, "Was Pete sad?
Song: "Form the Orange"

I saw this one first performed by Rick Samuelson at a Guerrilla Storytime session and it's been my go-to fun song ever since!

Form the orange, form form the orange (bring one arm up over head in an orange shape)
Form the orange, form form the orange (bring other arm up over head in an orange shape)
Peel the orange, peel peel the orange (bring one arm down)
Peel the orange, peel peel the orange (bring other arm down)
Squeeze the orange, squeeze squeeze the orange! (hug yourself)
Squeeze the orange, squeeze squeeze the orange!

Form the potato, form form the potato (bring one arm up over head in a potato shape)
Form the potato, form form the potato (bring other arm up over head in a potato shape)
Peel the potato, peel peel the potato (bring one arm down)
Peel the potato, peel peel the potato (bring other arm down)
Mash the potato, mash mash the potato (use arms and stomping feet to indicate "mashing")
Mash the potato, mash mash the potato!

Form the banana, form form the banana (bring one arm up over head in a banana shape)
Form the banana, form form the banana (bring other arm up over head in a banana shape)
Peel the banana, peel peel the banana (bring one arm down)
Peel the banana, peel peel the banana (bring other arm down)
Go bananas, go go bananas! (Go crazy!)
Go bananas, go go bananas!


Craft: Marshmallow Painting!
This craft is super easy to prep. I just purchased some regular-sized marshmallows, some bamboo forks (you could also use pretzel sticks or twigs), tempera paint, and card stock. I put some paint into bowls and added 3 or 4 marshmallows on forks to each and let the kids go wild with painting. (Caution: This one can get a bit messy!)

Image Source
This snack is super easy and super yummy. I just set out bowls with Golden Grahams cereal, mini marshmallows, and mini chocolate chips and let the kids scoop a small bit of each into a sandwich baggie. I also provide apple juice for a beverage. Then they gather back on the blankets to hear 1 or 2 final stories while they enjoy their treat.


Book: Farmyard Beat by Lindsay Craig - True to its name, this short and sweet readaloud has a great
beat!








Book: The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson - I first discovered this delightful book when I was searching for books to go along with my ice cream storytime theme. It was still a hit tonight with the kids chiming in occasionally with "The cow loves cookies!".




For more ideas, check out my Campfire Storytime Pinterest board!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis