Thursday, March 13, 2014

Storytime - Hats

Books:













Aunt Lucy Went to Buy a Hat by Alice Low
A Hat for Minerva Louise by Janet Morgan Stoeke
The Magic Hat by Mem Fox

Other Books to Share:













The Mouse, the Cat, and Grandmother's Hat by Nancy Willard
Twelve Hats for Lena by Karen Katz
Where's Mary's Hat? by Barroux

Songs/Rhymes:

“Silly Hat Song” 
(Tune: This Old Man)

On my head, I wear my hat.
It is such a silly hat
That my head will wiggle waggle to and fro
Where else can my silly hat go?

(Repeat using foot, elbow, knee, etc...)


“Grandma’s Glasses”

(In a high voice)
These are Grandma’s glasses (make circles around eyes)
This is Grandma’s hat (cup hands above head for a small hat)
This is the way she folds her hands (fold hands)
And lays them in her lap (put hands in lap)

(In a deeper voice)
Here are Grandpa’s glasses (make bigger circles around eyes)
And here is Grandpa’s hat (cup hands to make bigger hat on head)
And here’s the way he folds his arms (fold arms)
And takes a little nap (rest head on shoulder and snore)


"Little Cat, Little Cat" (flannel)

Little cat, little cat
Are you under the _______ hat?

For this flannel, I printed out clip art of different hats and a kitten from Microsoft Word. I hid the cat underneath one of the hats and let each of the kids try to guess where the kitten was hiding. I have a small group for one of my storytimes, so each child was able to have a couple of turns at guessing. If they guessed correctly, I had them cover their eyes and I hid the kitten again.

Craft: Paper plate/bowl hats

This craft was super easy and fun! I purchased paper bowls and plates from the grocery store. I just cut the middle out of the paper plates ahead of time. I had the parents tape the bowls to the plate "brims" but you could do this ahead of time as well. The kids then decorated the hats with stickers/crayons.




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis