Sunday, March 30, 2014

Rock 'n Roll Storytime

When I do storytime, I love incorporating lots of music/movement/dancing. A few years ago, I attended a local youth services workshop where another librarian spoke about a Rock 'n Roll storytime that she does. It sounded right up my alley and something that I've been wanting to do since then. I finally got my chance a couple of weeks ago and this is what I did:

I hosted 3 different sessions over the course of one day for ages 18 months and up - 9:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 1:15 p.m. I figured these would be good choices since they are the times of our regular storytimes and so our parents were already accustomed to them. I also chose to do this program in between our normal storytime sessions so that it wouldn't overlap or conflict with them.

I loosely planned my books/songs/rhymes until I saw the average age group on the registration sheets. I found that I had mostly toddlers in the morning sessions and preschoolers in the afternoon session, so I broke up my storytime into two different plans.

Morning Sessions:

Opening Song: "If You're Happy and You Know It..."

Wiggles Song: "Shake Your Sillies Out" by Raffi (w/ CD)

Book: The Wheels on the Bus by Jane Cabrera


Movement Song: "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes"

Fingerplay: "Five Little Monkeys" (w/ Monkey Mitt)

Book: From Head to Toe by Eric Carle


Instrument Song: "Milkshake" from Songs for Wiggleworms (w/ egg shakers)



Props Song: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawaiwo’ol (w/ scarves)

I also blew bubbles during this song while the kids waved their scarves in the air.

Closing Rhyme: "Tickle the Clouds"



Afternoon Session

Opening Song: "If You're Happy and You Know It..."

Wiggles Song: "Shake Your Sillies Out" by Raffi (w/ CD)

Book: The Seals on the Bus by Lenny Hort


Movement Song: "Jump Up, Turn Around" by Jim Gill from Jim Gill Sings Moving Rhymes...



Fingerplay: "Five Little Monkeys" (w/ Monkey Mitt)

Book: Can You Make a Scary Face?  by Jan Thomas


Instrument Song: "The Freeze" by Greg & Steve from Kids in Motion (w/ egg shakers)




Props Song: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawaiwo’ol (w/ scarves)

I also blew bubbles during this song while the kids waved their scarves in the air.

Closing Rhyme: "Tickle the Clouds"
 

How It Went:

Overall, all of the sessions went well. The kids seemed to have a lot of fun moving and dancing. One caveat: in my mind, doing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" with scarves and bubbles sounded like a nice, peaceful activity. However, I found that most of the kids just wanted to run around to catch the bubbles and swat at them with the scarves. It was more "toddler mosh pit" than anything.


Have you ever done a Rock 'n Roll Storytime? What did you do similar/differently?


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis