Friday, January 31, 2014

Storytime - Tools

The Plan:

Books:












Toolbox Twins by Lola M. Schaefer
I Love Tools! by Philemon Sturges

Other books you could use:

Tap Tap Bang Bang by Emma Garcia
The Magic Toolbox by Mie Araki
Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop by Lisa Shulman

Songs/Rhymes:


“Old MacDonald Had Some Tools” (w/flannel)
(For the flannel, I used my farmer from my "Ten Red Apples" story by Pat Hutchins)
 
Old MacDonald had some tools, E-I-E-I-O. 
And with those tools he had a hammer, E-I-E-I-O. (clap hands)
With a bang, bang, here and a bang, bang, there.
Here a bang, there a bang, everywhere a bang, bang,
Old MacDonald had some tools, E-I-E-I-O.

We repeated with:
A saw that went see-saw (make sawing motion with arms)
A wrench that turn-turned (roll hands)
A screwdriver that would twist-twist (twist at waist)
Pliers that pinch-pinch (pinch fingers)


"Building a House"
 
I'm going to build a little house, (Form arch overhead)
With windows big and bright. (Circles around eyes)
With chimney tall and curling smoke drifting out of sight. (Stretch up arms, make drifting motion)
In winter when the snowflakes fall, (Flutter hands down)
Or when I hear a storm, (Cup hand to ear)
I'll go inside my little house, (Crouch down)
And I'll be safe and warm. (Hug self or child)


"I Can Work with One Hammer" by Greg and Steve (from the CD "Fun and Games")

I can work with one hammer, one hammer, one hammer (hammer with one arm)
I can work with one hammer, now I work with two (add other arm)

I can work with two hammers, two hammers, two hammers
I can work with two hammers, now I work with three (add one leg)

I can work with three hammers, three hammers, three hammers
I can work with three hammers, now I work with four (add other leg)

I can work with four hammers, four hammers, four hammers
I can work with four hammers, now I work with five (add head)

I can work with five hammers, five hammers, five hammers
I can work with five hammers, now it's time to rest!

(Then go backwards down to one hammer.)

Craft: Tool belts

I found some tools on Google Images, printed them off onto card stock, and pre-cut them out. Then I cut green construction paper into a rectangle that was 10 1/2" x 6 1/2", which seemed to be a good size for a 3 year-old. I also pre-punched holes in the construction paper and pre-cut strings of yarn for the ties. So all the kids had to do was to color their tools, fold and glue the construction paper, and add the yarn ties. This was a really fun, cute craft!




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis