Monday, November 11, 2013

Storytime - Counting

The Plan:

Books: 













Two at the Zoo: A Counting Book by Danna Smith
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin

Two at the Zoo is a great book to use with toddlers (and preschoolers) because it has a nice rhythm and rhyme when reading aloud. I also had the kids count along with me on each of the pages.

Because I love the Pete the Cat books so much, I decided to go gung-ho and make a flannel out of it. Let me just say that it was a huge hit with the kids! Definitely worth the extra effort of making his coat open to show his belly button. (A special thanks to Storytiming for the flannel instructions!)


Songs/Rhymes:

"Five Little Monkeys" (w/ Monkey Mitt)

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed.
One fell off and bumped his head.
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

(Continue with 4,3,2, and 1)


"Five Funny Dinosaurs" (w/ flannel)
(To the tune: Five Green and Speckled Frogs)

Five funny dinosaurs
Let out a great big ROAR!
And ate up some most delicious leaves,
YUM! YUM!
One jumped into the pool
Where it was nice and cool.
Now there are four funny dinosaurs.
ROAR! ROAR!

(Continue with 4,3,2, and 1)

I did not make this awesome flannel. Though I wish I had!




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis