After the story, I briefly explained what to do at each station. Most were self-directed and I included directions inside acrylic sign-holders at each table. These were the stations:
- Resolutions Craft: I cut out some book-shaped Ellison dies in both blue and white, set out markers, and asked the kids to write down their New Year's resolutions. Then after the program, I hung them all up in the Children's Room.
- Party Hats: Because no party is complete without a hat, I bought cheap party hats in bulk, set out stickers, and let the kids use their imaginations when decorating.
- Noisemakers/Shakers: This was by far the most popular station. I bought clear party cups from the grocery store and set out various beads and beans. The kids filled one of the cups halfway with the beans/beads, put another clear cup on top, and sealed the middle with packing tape. I also had a table to make noisemakers out of toilet paper tubes. Kids decorated yellow construction paper to glue around the tube. Then they took a square of a wax paper and rubber banded it around one end. They could then blow into the other end and make some noise! We then used these during our balloon drop.
- Time Capsules: I purchased some clear food storage containers in bulk with lids. These served as the capsule itself. I made this lid template where they could set the year that they wanted to open it. I also had them complete the last page on this PDF, the first page of this PDF and this crystal ball worksheet. I explained that when they got home they could add anything else they wanted to the capsule before they hid it somewhere.
- Line Dancing: I found some kids line dancing CDs and danced the Hokey Pokey and the Macarena among others. It was a blast!
- Snack: I served apple juice and cupcakes with "confetti" sprinkles for a treat.
- Balloon Pop/Drop: I had to experiment with this a bit to find the right supplies for maximum impact. I ended up purchasing these balloons on Amazon. Really, any large clear balloon would work though. I then filled 2 balloons with tissue paper squares and confetti. I hung them from the ceiling with fishing line. I stood on a chair with a pair of scissors and we counted down to noon together. At noon exactly, I popped the balloons and put on the song "Auld Lang Syne".
|Happy NOON Year!|
Have you done a Noon Year's Eve program? What did you do?