Thursday, April 18, 2013

Preschool Storytime

One of my absolutely favorite things to do is storytime. Having an undergraduate degree in theatre helps me to imagine that each session is a mini-performance (a.k.a. I have no shame about singing, doing the Tooty-Ta, etc...whatever it takes).

My library is a very small (but very busy) suburban library. Therefore, we have a full slate of storytimes that we offer to our families. In a typical week, I will do:


  • 1 preschool storytime
  • 2 toddler storytimes
  • 1 baby storytime

It's a lot to plan! Luckily, I like to do the same opening and closing for the different age groups. I think that it helps create confidence that the kids know exactly what the routine is. Here's my typical outline for preschool storytime:

Opening: We always talk about what our "best good manners" in storytime are. These are the basic rules they should follow for the 30 minutes I have them. These include putting on their listening ears, raising their hand if they have something to say, and keeping their hands, feet and other objects to themselves. It's a good weekly reminder about behavior expectations.

Magic Listening Dust Box: I bought a plain wooden box from Joann's and covered it with shiny fabric and glitter. I lined the inside with glitter paper. I open the box and pretend to grab a handful of the dust. I blow it out to them and ask them to catch it. Then they rub it on their arms, their legs, their shoulders, and lots and lots on their listening ears.

The outside of the magic box 
The inside with the "magical dust"

Song: "Shake Your Sillies Out" by Raffi. I use this to help them get their wiggles out.

Listening Rhyme: Criss-Cross Applesauce

Criss-cross applesauce
Give a little clap (clap)
Criss-cross applesauce
Put them in your lap (put hands in lap)
Criss-cross applesauce
Quiet as can be (put finger to lips and whisper this line)
Criss-cross applesauce
Eyes on me (I point to myself)

Book #1: This is my longest book.

Song/Rhyme:

Book #2:

Song/Rhyme:

Book #3: This is my shortest book.

Fun Dancing Song (if time): We usually do "List of Dances" by Jim Gill. I made a poster board with the list of the dances to show the kids (and to help me remember what they are too!).

Closing Song: "Do You Know What Time It Is?" (sung to the tune of "Do You Know the Muffin Man?") I found this one on Abby the Librarian's blog. It goes like this:

Do you know what time it is, time it is, time it is? (pretend to tap watch on wrist)
Do you know what time it is?
Storytime is over.
Now it's time to wave goodbye, wave goodbye, wave goodbye. (wave hands)
Now it's time to wave goodbye.
Storytime is over.
But come back and see us soon, see us soon, see us soon. (clap hands)
But come back and see us soon
When the fun will start again!

Do you have any routines for preschool storytime? Any favorite openers or closers?

I'll post my outlines for toddler and baby time in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis