Thursday, May 14, 2015

Storytime - Mothers

Books:


A Mother for Choco by Keiko Kasza - Kasza's one of my go-to authors for preschool storytime and this one doesn't disappoint! It's a sweet story about a bird looking for a mother who looks just like him. But he learns that a mother isn't about what you look like, but what you do for your child. It made me a little misty-eyed.

My Monster Mama Loves Me So by Laura Leuck - A cute story about all of the "gross" things that a monster's mama does for him. The preschoolers had fun saying "ewww" to most of the story.

Dinosaur vs. Mommy by Bob Shea - For preschoolers, the fun is saying "Dinosaur wins!" and roaring loudly. For toddlers, the fun is more for the parents. For instance, when the author asks who wins when mommy tries to take a quick shower or fold laundry, it got a chuckle from the grown-ups.

I Love My Mommy by Giles Andrae - Cute story for toddlers about the reasons a child loves his mommy. Great big, bold illustrations by Emma Dodd too!









Songs/Rhymes: 

Five Little Monkeys (w/ monkey mitt)
From: http://www.creativeacademics.com

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed (hold up 5 fingers and bounce hand up and down)
One fell off and bumped his head (gently bop head)
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said (make "phone" with hand and hold up to ear)
"No more monkeys jumping on the bed!" (shake one finger as if scolding)

Continue with 4, 3, 2, and 1


Skinnamarink

Skinnamarink a dink a dink
Skinnamarink a do
I love you!
Skinnamarink a dink a dink
Skinnamarink a do
I love you!
I love you in the morning and in the afternoon
I love you in the evening and underneath the moon
Skinnamarink a dink a dink
Skinnamarink a do
I love you! 



Craft:

Mother's Day Cards

I found a cute poem about handprints, so I typed it out 2 to a sheet and then cut them out with scalloped scissors. The day of the craft, I had the kids glue the poem to one side of the inside of the card and then trace their hand on the other side (some kids needed me to trace it for them). Then they could decorate the front and back however they wanted.




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis