Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Storytime - Bunnies

Books:

Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! by Candace Fleming - This is one of my perennial favorites for preschool storytime. It's a cumulative tale about 3 rabbits that keep sneaking into Mr. McGreeley's vegetable garden and stealing his crops. There's lots of opportunity for participation too!

The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo by Jonathan Allen - A little rabbit loves to say, "moo" but the other animals try to set him straight on what animals say what. A good story to practice animal noises. It has a funny little twist at the end too!

Flora's Surprise! by Debi Gliori - A rabbit named Flora decides to plant a brick in a flower pot in order to grow a house. Her other family members don't believe it'll work, but there's a nice surprise of a happy ending for Flora.

What Does Bunny See? by Linda Sue Park - This is a good rhyming book about colors for toddlers.

Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit by Il Sung Na - I use his books every chance I get, and this is a beautifully illustrated short book about changing seasons. It would be good for baby storytime too!







Songs/Rhymes:

B-U-N-N-Y
(Tune: B-I-N-G-O)

There is a rabbit that I know
And bunny is his name-o!
B-U-N-N-Y
B-U-N-N-Y
B-U-N-N-Y
And bunny is his name-o!

Then, instead of clapping as we turn over the letters, we hop! The preschoolers loved this one so much, they asked to do it again.

Source


Did You Ever See a Rabbit?
(Tune: Did You Ever See a Lassie)

Did you ever see a rabbit
A rabbit, a rabbit
Did you ever see a rabbit that hops so fast?
Hops this way and that way
And that way and this way
Did you ever see a rabbit that hops so fast?

Continue with:
...hops so slow
...hops on one foot
...hops backward

Source


Little Rabbit

I saw a little rabbit go hop, hop, hop. (hold up two fingers and go hop, hop, hop)
I saw his long ears go flop, flop, flop. (place hands above head and flop at wrists)
I saw his little eyes go wink, wink, wink. (wink eyes)
I saw his little nose go twink, twink, twink. (wiggle nose)
I said, “Little Rabbit, won’t you stay?” (make beckoning motion)
But he just looked at me and hopped away. (make two fingers hop away)


Sleeping Bunnies

See the little bunnies sleeping 'till it's nearly noon
Come and let us gently wake them with a merry tune
Oh how still
Are they ill?
Wake up soon

Hop little bunnies, hop hop hop!
Hop little bunnies, hop hop hop!
Hop little bunnies, hop hop hop!
Hop little bunnies, hop hop hop!
Hop hop stop!

Now I had wanted to do this with either the ukulele or a parachute, but I'll fess up and say I chickened out to both at the last minute. However, if you are braver than me you can find a wonderful uke tutorial from Miss Mary Liberry and a write-up on how to use a parachute with this song from Anne at So Tomorrow.



Craft:

Rabbit Masks

I just cut the middles out of paper plates, then pre-cut ears and whiskers. Then the kids could glue the ears/whiskers on no problem. However, there were slight problems. Next time, I would cut the ears out of cardstock so they were stiffer and stuck straight up better. Also, glue did NOT work on the craft sticks to attach them to the paper plate. Luckily, I had scotch tape handy, which worked much better.





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis