Thursday, April 24, 2014

Storytime - Cake

Books:


Little Mouse and the Big Cupcake by Thomas Taylor - This is a cute story about a mouse who is too small to carry his cupcake home. So he enlists the help of his friends! The illustrations are great. The book itself is a bit bigger in size which makes it good for sharing in a group. I made this one interactive by having the kids rub their tummies and say, "Yum, yum, yummy!" with me every time a different animal took a bite of the cupcake.

Cupcake by Charise Marie Harper - This is a colorful story about a cupcake who just wants to look as fancy as her siblings. Her friend, Candle, appears and they come up with a great solution! This one is fairly short, so it's good for younger crowds.





If You Give a Cat a Cupcake by Laura Numeroff - In the style of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie a cat receives a cupcake and chaos ensues. This isn't my favorite in the series, but the kids seemed to like it and it has that recognition factor to make it a crowd pleaser.




Rhymes/Songs:

Pat-A-Cake

Pat a cake, pat a cake (clap hands)
Baker's man
Bake me a cake as fast as you can.
Roll it (roll arms)
Pat it (pat legs)
And mark it with a "B" (draw a "B" in the air)
And put it in the oven for baby and me! (give self or child a hug)

Five Birthday Candles (w/flannel)

(count down with fingers)

Note: I didn't make this lovely flannel.
Five birthday candles, wish there were more
I blew one out and then there were four. (have children "blow" the candles out with you for extra interaction)

Four birthday candles, pretty as can be
I blew another out and then there were three.

Three birthday candles, yellow, red, and blue
I blew another out and then there were two.

Two birthday candles, birthday cakes are fun
I blew another out and then there was one.

One birthday candle, the party's almost done.
I blew that one out and now there are none!



Craft:

Cupcake Decorating

If you wanted to get really crazy, you could bring in actual edible cupcakes and let the kids decorate them for a snack. I was not feeling so crazy, so I found this printable cupcake. I printed copies off onto cardstock and passed out crayons and glitter glue pens to decorate. Easy peasy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis