Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pajama Storytime - Snowmen

Tonight was my very first evening storytime. While I've been doing regular storytimes for awhile now, this was very new territory for me. At my library, we have a once a month evening storytime from 7:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. It's a drop-in storytime so we never know how many to expect. Here's what I ended up doing:

The Setup:

I set out 2 big blankets in the middle of the room and place about a dozen puppets around the perimeter to make things cozier. Families are encouraged to wear their pajamas and bring pillows to the storytime. Of course, the librarian wears pajamas too! It's a good excuse to invest in some fun pajama sets. Tonight I wore pink monkey pajamas and sock monkey slippers. I had tried to find some winter-themed pajamas but that turned into a fiasco that I'll spare you the details of.

The Plan:

Opening: "The More We Get Together" (with sign language) - see my post about the song and which signs I use here.

Listening Rhyme: "Ten Little Fingers"

I have ten little fingers (hold up 10 fingers)
And they all belong to me (point to yourself)
I can make them do things (wiggle fingers)
Would you like to see? (point out to audience)

I can shut them up tight (make 2 fists)
I can open them wide (spread fingers wide)
I can put them together (put fingers together)
And I can make them all hide (hide hands behind back)

I can hold them up high (stretch arms high)
And I can hold them down low (bend over and touch ground)
I can fold them together (fold hands together)
And hold them just so. (put hands in lap)

Book: The Biggest, Best Snowman by Margery Cuyler


Song/Rhyme: "I'm a Great Big Snowman" 
(to the tune: I'm a Little Teapot)

I'm a great big snowman (hold arms out to sides)
Round and fat (make arms look round)
Here is my scarf (touch neck)
And here is my hat (touch head)
But when the sun gets warmer (hold arms above head to make a sun)
I get flat (clap on flat)
I melt into a puddle, just like that! ("melt" down to the floor)

Book: Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner


Song Cube: I write about my song cube here. Tonight's winning tune was "Five Green and Speckled Frogs".

Book: Flip's Snowman by Petr Horacek


Snack/Song: Here is where were have some sort of snack. Tonight it was apple juice and holiday colored cookies. Because I am all about transitions, I made up a snack song:

(to the tune: If You're Happy and You Know It)

If you're ready for a snack, clap your hands
If you're ready for a snack, clap your hands
If you're ready for a treat, then get up on your feet (stand up)
If you're ready for a snack, clap your hands!

Bedtime Book: I read this while they are eating their snacks. Tonight we read Snowbaby Could Not Sleep by Kara LaReau


Song: "Twinkle Twinkle" (with star wands) - I found some silver star wands though a party supply website and ordered 20 of them for storytime. I pass them out and we sing the song while waving them in the air.

**This is where I improvised a bit. I always bring extra books, but I brought more than usual because I wasn't sure what the ages of the children in tonight's storytime would be. I ended up having kids as young as 1 and as old as about 6 or 7. They weren't quite done with their snacks yet, so I pulled another short book out of my stack and read it. I chose Snow Happy by Patricia Hubbell which is a nice, short participatory story.**


Closing: "Tickle the Clouds"

Tickle the clouds (reach high and "tickle" the air)
Tickle your toes (reach low and tickle toes)
Turn around
And tickle your nose
Reach down low
And reach up high
Storytime's over -
Wave goodbye!

How It Went:

As you've read I had to improvise a bit, but overall I thought it went pretty well for my first one! I had a small, quiet group (I tried to encourage the parents to participate, but no dice) of kids that seemed to have fun. I even got a hug and a kiss from a child I had just met tonight!

Do you do evening/bedtime storytimes? What do you do in yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis