Thursday, April 2, 2015

Storytime - Ducks

Spring storytime for us is back in session! I also got to add a preschool storytime session again to my roster, so I'll be posting craft ideas at the bottom. This week's theme was just ducky.

Books:


Duck in the Truck by Jez Alborough - This is a cute story about a duck who gets stuck in some muck, so some of his animal friends try to help him. This is a great one for phonological awareness and there's a little twist at the end of the story. My preschoolers just thought this book was hysterical for some reason!



Ducks Don't Wear Socks by John Nediwidek - This is another funny story about a serious girl named Emily, and a very NOT serious Duck who likes to wear different clothing. The preschoolers and I briefly talked about what the word "serious" means. They also laughed like crazy at this one. Especially when Duck puts on underwear!




Mucky Duck by Sally Grindley - I used this book in both preschool and toddler time. In both, I had the kids say "Oh you Mucky Duck!" with me. In preschool storytime, we briefly talked about what the word "mucky" means.






Duckie's Ducklings by Frances Barry - A mother duck is looking everywhere for her ducklings, but can't find them. But little does she know (as the pages get narrower) that the ducklings are gradually following behind her! I used this in toddler time and asked near the end if they could spot the ducklings, but I got a lot of blank stares. Oh well...




Songs/Rhymes:

Five Little Ducks (w/ flannel and a duck puppet for the mother duck)

Five little ducks went out one day
Over the hill and far away
Mother duck said, "Quack quack, quack, quack!"
But only four little ducks came back!

Continue with 4, 3, 2, and 1 until you have no little ducks come running back then...

Sad mother duck went out one day
Over the hill and far away
Mother duck said (I have them quack loudly with me), "QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK!"
And 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 little ducks came back!


If You're a Duck and You Know It
(Tune: If You're Happy and You Know It)

If you're a duck and you know it, say "quack, quack!"
If you're a duck and you know it, say "quack, quack!"
If you're a duck and you know it, then your face will really show it
If you're a duck and you know it, say "quack, quack!"

...waggle your tail
...flap your wings
...waddle around


Two Little Ducks

Two little ducks (hold up two thumbs)
With feathers on their backs
One named quick (wiggle one thumb)
And the other named Quack (wiggle other thumb)
Waddle away, Quick (move one thumb behind back)
Waddle away, Quack (move other thumb behind back)
Come back, Quick (return first thumb to front)
Come back, Quack (return other thumb to front)


I'm a Yellow Duckie
(Tune: I'm a Little Teapot)

I’m a yellow duckie (waddle side to side)
Feathered and sleek
Here is my tail (wiggle bottom)
And here is my beak (point to nose/mouth)
When the rain falls on me (wiggle fingers down for rain)
I’m OK (nod head)
Because those raindrops
Just roll away! (roll hands)


Craft:

Duck Coloring Page

For this craft, I made up a duck coloring page and had the preschoolers color them with crayons. Then I set out some white glue and let them attach some feathers wherever they like!






No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis